Every day, Divert collects data on thousands of tons of waste and recycling materials, and we continuously analyze these data to identify opportunities for reducing landfill streams from thousands of our clients’ retail locations. As an early-stage company, we are growing both our customer base and our portfolio of product offerings, and therefore need someone who is passionate about database architecture and data pipelines to help us improve and expand our internal and customer-facing data capabilities. The Data Engineer position is the cross-functional keystone between our Engineering team, who support field data collection, and our Data Analytics team, who provide our customers with insights and solutions to simplify the process of reducing trash. This is an exciting opportunity for a dependable, self-motivated and environmentally-friendly Data Engineer to play a major role in shaping Divert’s growth by designing our central data processing and analytics for scalability.
As a member of the Analytics team, this position reports to our Director of Analytics and Data Science and has the following responsibilities:
● Build, maintain, and improve data pipeline architecture
● Monitor field-collected data to detect anomalies in real time, and support the Engineering Team in developing methods of improving the reliability and scalability of our data collection and monitoring systems
● Centralize and optimize databases to facilitate storage and accessibility of both internal and customer data
● Identify and implement internal process improvements such as streamlining report production and delivery, automating manual procedures, etc.
● Create tools for Analytics team in order to simplify both routine and ad-hoc data analyses
● Investigate sources of potential data gaps or inconsistencies and build software tools to prevent issues from recurring
● Work with Analytics and Customer Solutions teams to build new data products creating new value for our customers
Candidates for this position must have/be:
● BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Informatics or similar
● 2+ years in a Software or Data Engineering role
● Advanced knowledge of SQL
● Proficiency in Java and/or Python (NumPy preferred)
● Ability to present products and conclusions in a clear and compelling manner
● Prior training in database architecture
● Experience with data processing and transforming disconnected datasets
● Comfort with robust data analysis
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams
● Strong attention to detail
Ideal candidates have:
● Proficiency with R or other quantitative analysis frameworks
● Experience working with distributed processing frameworks
● Experience performing root cause analysis to identify opportunities for improvement, especially in scattered and/or unstructured datasets
● Comfort and experience with managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
● A passion for collecting and using data to improve the world
● Experience with TensorFlow
Experience with the following is a plus:
● R Shiny tools
● Agile working environment
In the U.S. 1 out of every 6 Americans is food insecure. Meanwhile, 1 out of every 7 trucks of fresh food delivered to a grocery store is either landfilled or recycled. This further results in a massive impact on the environment where 25% of all freshwater consumed, 21% of all US farmland utilized and 500 million barrels of oil are wasted. We are aggressively solving the food crisis. As the leading provider of unsold food solutions to major retailers in the U.S., Divert is positioned to fundamentally change the way unsold food is managed. Divert’s technologies allow entire retail chains to measure and eliminate wasted food, while offering cutting-edge energy and nutrient recovery solutions.
Divert maintains a fast-paced and collaborative office environment with a culture valuing technology, innovation, and work-life balance.