EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities. Senior Vice president of Finance, Planning & Strategy
As the organization’s senior financial executive, the SVP of Finance, Planning and Strategy provides high-level oversight for all financial activities at EBSCO Information Services (EIS) with the experience that combines sound financial leadership with proven business effectiveness. A key member of the EIS leadership team, the SVP of Financial Planning and Accounting is responsible for the overall financial management and financial integrity of the company which includes strategic financial planning, budget analysis and management, financial modeling and reporting, cost management, forecasting needs, accounting and order processing operations, and investment strategies. The SVP of Financial Planning and Accounting monitors and evaluates EIS’s financial performance and recommends appropriate fiscal measures for achieving financial objectives and supporting growth. Primary Responsibilities:
- Serves as EIS’s senior financial executive and provides guidance to senior leadership regarding current and future financial considerations, participates in short and long term strategic planning sessions and collaborates on developing and enhancing financial processes and systems
- Partners with EIS President and senior leaders on operational and strategic issues and provides recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Provides financial discipline and business decision support to evaluate strategic business opportunities (Idea Documents, Business Cases, Long Range Plans).
- Leads effort to proactively identify investment, continuous improvement and cost optimization opportunities across EIS.
- Collaborates with senior leadership to ensure appropriate allocation of resources and effective execution of business and financial decisions.
- Oversees management of financial resources to ensure achievement of organizational goals.
- Participates in developing new growth opportunities by assisting EIS President and other senior leaders in identifying funding opportunities (new product development and cross-departmental initiatives), partnerships or acquisitions. Participates in the drafting of prospective budgets, cost effectiveness and ROI.
- Oversees long-term budgetary planning and cost management. Ensures use of effective budget reporting and feedback mechanisms that drive operational efficiency.
- Leads financial planning and analysis efforts. Directs development of internal systems to forecast organizations needs and report on financial results, and implementation of financial best practices.
- Effectively manages the areas of Financial Planning, Accounting and Order Processing, Portfolio Management and Business Development and Strategy, including hiring, evaluation and development of staff.
- Strategic Thinking: Collaborates with senior executives to develop long-range financial goals; monitors on-going performance against these objectives; identifies potential problems and initiates appropriate corrective actions to maximize results.
- Proactivity/Bias for Action: Promotes a strong sense of urgency for reaching goals and key deliverables. Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company. Leads with a results-oriented mindset to meet deadlines.
- Deliver Information: Ability to deliver information in a concise manner, providing necessary context for understanding by executives.
- Analytical Skills: Able to rapidly and clearly structure and process qualitative and quantitative data to draw insightful, fact-based conclusions from it. Develops financial and operational models to support long-range planning, project ROI analysis, “what-if” scenarios, and sensitivity analysis to draw strategic insights.
- Attitude/Approach: Possesses a collaborative, non-threatening, and positive disposition. Willing to change course quickly to gain a desired result. Exhibits flexibility and willingness to take on new responsibilities to assist with various ad hoc projects as needed. Is not easily discouraged. Strives to exceed expectations and “over deliver” on commitments and deliverables.
- Talent Development: Identifies current and future talent needs, assesses strengths and gaps, and puts development strategies in place across the business to accelerate readiness and build bench strength.
- Team-Oriented: Understands that input from different part of the business is critical to hear and synthesize. Able to listen, build trust/consensus (across sometimes disparate teams), and then act. Able to navigate a 3,000+ employee organization and be senior liaison with various groups (Corp Accounting, Legal, external vendors, etc.).
- Organization & Planning: Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Ensures organization is focused on key priorities. Conducts continuing assessment of business unit performance. Drives efforts to evaluate and redirect operating performance in order to maximize group contribution and profit growth.
- Honesty/Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Attention to Detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Continuous Improvement: Continually focused on improving processes to do more with existing resources to enable team to be more effective through improved efficiency.
- Positive Attitude: Communicates optimistically and enthusiastically about business opportunities and our future while acknowledging challenges and avoiding wishful thinking. Boldly tackles complex issues; helps others envision what can be; makes tough or unpopular decisions in a timely way and ensures others do as well. Models steadiness, focus and calm under pressure; strikes a balance between healthy self-confidence and appropriate humility.
- Trust & Respect: Demonstrates, promotes and reinforces an uncompromising commitment to high standards of ethical behavior and the EBSCO Way. Inspires trust by sharing information appropriately, taking a clear stand on important issues, and following through on commitments; deals with others in an open, honest manner; extends trust to others. Treats others fairly and with respect for their talents and differences; assumes positive intent; puts systems, policies and procedures in place to ensure fairness in employee relations and business dealings.
- Drive: Models a determined focus and will to succeed that is contagious; handles adversity well, recovers quickly, and sustains drive over the long haul. Creates a dynamic culture of high expectations, high performance standards and achievement. Sets the expectation that leaders will act swiftly to address issues and opportunities facing our employees and customers.
- Collaboration: Promotes the importance of collaboration within and across our business to create, capture, share and maximize value. Interacts effectively with others; is considerate and approachable; values, respects, and welcomes differences and others’ perspectives; is mindful of own authority and personal impact. Is not afraid to surface and address conflict directly; acts as a barrier buster where necessary.
- Open Communication: Conveys a compelling picture of the organization’s future that engages and energizes employees at all levels. Consistently seeks to engage, excite, and influence a broad range of stakeholders about EBSCO’s future direction, strategies, and decisions by connecting it to “what’s in it for them;” values input, is eager to understand, and can be influenced by others. Seeks input and involves others in decisions that affect them; effectively delegates and drives decisions downward.
- Talent Development: Demonstrates keen insight into own strengths, opportunities, and impact on others; leads the way in self-improvement. Identifies current and future talent needs, assesses strengths and gaps, and puts development strategies in place across the business to accelerate readiness and build bench strength. Sets and reinforces organizational norms and practices that respect, value, and leverage difference to achieve better results.
- Critical Thinking: Analyzes complex problems fully and objectively before acting; able to draw logical conclusions from available data; gets at the root cause of issues. Thinks systematically; understands and works through complexity; considers competing issues, benefits, and risks; recognizes connections between issues that aren’t obviously related. Balances decisiveness with patience; navigates ambiguity; recognizes personal biases and assumptions; makes well-reasoned decisions.
- Strategic Thinking: Understands our business model and the evolving business environment; has a strong P&L perspective; uses data to measure and analyze business performance, manage risk and make decisions. Identifies the business implications of changing conditions, patterns, and trends; develops strategies to seize the new market, customer, and business opportunities. Thinks and acts, where appropriate, with a global mindset. Considers differences across cultures, geographies, and markets when shaping business strategies, decisions, and practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree; preferably in accounting, finance, or business
- 10+ years progressive finance, management, or consulting experience
- Experience in managing strategic function
- Experience in strategic and/or management consulting
- Experience working in SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework for enterprise) or Lean/Agile software development operation
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Business Development, Executive, VP, Consulting, Management Consulting, Sales, Management, Technology Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)