EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities. Ontologist
The mission of the Ontologist is to create knowledge graphs and linked metadata schemes for topical and bibliographic search and discovery. As part of the Semantic Enrichment Team, the Ontologist contributes to the knowledge organization of EBSCO’s controlled vocabularies and bibliographic metadata by mapping metadata, working with linked data, mining for data internally and externally, and collaborating with the rest of the Semantic Enrichment team in order to improve the search and semantic enrichment of EBSCO products. Primary Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement ontologies in consultation with stakeholders in teams dedicated to search, product management and product development.
- Contribute to data integration and mapping efforts to harmonize content provider taxonomy and other metadata into EBSCO’s bibliographic, topical, named entity, and geographic ontologies.
- Communicate and advocate the value of EBSCO’s efforts in ontology and taxonomy maintenance and creation across the business
- Analyze and implement knowledge organization strategies using tools capable of machine learning, ontology management, and semantic enrichment
- Keep abreast of competitor and industry developments related to ontology use, knowledge organization, and machine learning
- Understand and adhere to EBSCO database principals, in particular JSON, JATS, BITS, and others.
- Understand and adhere to W3C standards related to ontologies, in particular RDF, RDFS, OWL, and SKOS.
- Integrate data using different metadata schemes such as Schema.org, DCMI, and FOAF
- Develop and generate pertinent Taxonomy Team reports and queries
- Test/troubleshoot new systems
- Implement other projects as assigned by Supervisor, Manager or other Content Management managers
- Develop and implement multiple ontologies from publisher topical and bibliographic data in consultation with stakeholders in teams dedicated to search, product management, and enterprise architecture.
- Contribute to data integration efforts to harmonize data silos within EBSCO as well as content provider metadata into EBSCO’s developing linked data, ontology, and canonical data models.
- Communicate and advocate the value of using industry standards, applications, and open source data sets.
- Analyze and implement knowledge organization strategies using tools capable of machine learning and semantic enrichment
- Keep abreast of competitor and industry developments related to ontology use, linked data, bibliometrics, knowledge organization, and metadata.
- Test/troubleshoot new or updated models and systems
- Create processes and tools to establish, maintain, and update linked data, ontologies, and canonical data models.
- Ability to connect implicit as well as explicit data.
- Maintain and update data and models according to industry best practice.
- Identify resources to mine and/or call out to via API for data resources such as social media posts, customer feedback, search logs (internal and external), and linked open data sources.
- Support knowledge organization tasks in order to enhance search precision and knowledge discovery.
- Work through Journals Acquisition Team to collaborate and guide publishers in best data quality standards and delivery.
- Assist in analyzing requests from internal or other EIS teams to help team revise existing or add new schema, tags, and ontological relationships.
- Able to quickly get to know EBSCO and publisher partner products, processes, customers, users, and business needs for better data mapping.
- Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunity and risks through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Has very strong research skills.
- Communicates and presents ideas clearly and with confidence. Delivers presentations and status updates suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Fosters a team based culture within the semantic enrichment team and across departments. Develops a supportive and helpful culture for assistance in projects and daily support interactions.
- Continually focused on improving the responsiveness and quality of the solutions delivered.
- Exhibits high energy, passion, self-motivation, and creativity for problem solving.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
- Graduate degree in information science, library science, ontology, semantics or computational linguistics
- 2+ years’ experience in metadata related field or work and/or a masters’ degree in information science, library and information science (specifically metadata or a related field), or a related degree.
- Has 2+ years’ experience developing or using controlled vocabularies.
- Has 3+ years’ experience or certificate/training in using W3C standards related to linked and canonical data and ontologies, in particular JSON, XML, DITA, RDF, RDFS, OWL, and/or SKOS.
- Has 2+ years’ experience or certificate/training in linked data tools such as Protg, New4j, or similar tools.
- Has 1+ years’ experience using metadata schemes such as Schema.org, Dublin Core, and/or Friend Of A Friend
- Has 1+ years’ experience integrating linked data and ontology data sets such as ORCID, CrossRef, Ringold, WordNet, Getty, Dbpedia, Bioportal ontologies, or similar data sets.
- Has proficiency in SQL and/or SPARQL
- Has proficiency in Python and/or R
- Has proficiency in JSON
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies and tools.
- Knowledge in bibliometrics, impact factors, and citation analysis.
- Understanding of the construction of ontologies and the use of controlled vocabularies and thesauri in indexing and knowledge discovery of digital content.
- Detail-oriented and an ability to problem-solve independently.
- Strong reading and writing skills.
- Very strong social and communication skills – ability to present ideas clearly and with confidence.
- Ability to work individually and with a team to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with multilingual terminologies, taxonomies, ontologies, or scholarly articles.
- Familiarity with scraping websites, using APIs, and/or Search Engine optimization (SEO)
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Developer, Information Technology, IT Architecture, SQL, Database, Technology Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Topsfield, MA (US)