EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
As Technical Product Manager for the Platform & User Experience Product Management team, you will play a key role as Product Owner on an agile team, focusing on the implementation of features for EBSCO’s interfaces as well as technical enablers. The TPM position requires close communication and facilitation with both business and technical stakeholders in order to maximize the return on investment and minimize the time to market. The technical product manager will implement product vision and product development with a clear focus on business, customer and end-user needs. The TPM role will close the gap between a product manager’s understanding of the needs of the marketplace and the development team’s need for product direction.
A full-time member of an agile team, the TPM will fill the Product Owner (PO) role on a team. The PO works with Product Management and other stakeholders to define and prioritize User and Enabler Stories in the Team Backlog to streamline the execution of program priorities. The Team Backlog contains all the items the team needs to do to advance their portion of the system’s functionality. Stories are the fundamental mechanism to describe a small piece of desired functionality that will be incrementally implemented by the team as part of the Product Development Life Cycle (PDLC) to provide business value to the end user. The PO owns the Team Backlog and its implementation. The PO contributes to the vision and refinement of the Program Backlog, serves as the main source for story detail and priorities for each Program Iteration and is responsible for iteration plan acceptance, story acceptance criteria and acceptance of stories as done. The PO role requires an individual with strong collaborative skills with a system’s thinking mentality who can work with technical and nontechnical stakeholders to continually ensure their team is executing the highest priority, value added work.
• Collaborate closely with product managers and system architects to translate business and technical priorities into user stories
• Serves as the customer/end user proxy to development team
• Communicate feature status to Product Manager / business owner, and escalate issues that need business decisions or direction
• Manage communications and relationships with diverse stakeholders, ranging from product managers, system architects, developers, QA engineers, customer satisfaction staff
• Provide subject matter expertise to development team
• Ensure successful release of features that deliver functionality meeting customer needs
• Collaboration with UI designers, developers and testers to identify feature details and create user stories for implementation
• Passion for Lean: Appreciates the depths of Lean practices and principles and role models Lean and Agile behaviors.
• Continuous Planning & Execution: Engages with team members, Product Management, Technology and other stakeholders to ensure the team backlog is defined, prioritized, understood and implemented and effectively addresses program priorities.
• Collaboration: Breaks down silos and works effectively with team members, cross functional teams and various stakeholders to establish and accomplish team and ART priorities/objectives.
• Negotiating and Consensus Building: Continuously aligns services offered with technology groups and business owners. Manages, negotiates and coordinates with technology, business stakeholders, subject matter experts and architects on release planning prioritization of strategic technology initiatives.
• Requirements Analysis: Gathers, organizes and evaluates any information or data needed as input from stakeholders and development team to determine requirements and specifications.
• Communication: Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical professionals.
• Team Builder: Uses appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team and facilitates the completion of team and ART objectives.
• Technical Acumen: Understanding of system and solution architect/engineering at a level to assist with decision making and sequencing of key technological infrastructures that are needed to execute dependent user stories.
• Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
• 3+ years working or consulting in library, education, publishing, or information industries
• 2+ years experience with lean and agile software development
• 3+ years experience with Microsoft programs such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Masters in Library and Information Science
• Proven experience working directly with technology teams as a product owner
• Experience developing new software and services, as well as enhancements to existing, legacy systems
• Proven ability to work with cross-functional teams to drive the implementation of new features as well as resolve operational issues
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize workload effectively and thrive in a dynamic and complex environment. Must be highly organized.
• Detail-oriented, yet able to look at a wide array of choices and identify what truly matters, problem solving skills is a must
• Effective written and oral communication with multiple levels of business and technical leadership
• Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical and leadership skills are essential
• Strong written and oral communication skills. Experience communicating with internal and external audiences, including customers.
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Consulting, Engineer, Product Manager, Solution Architect, Technology, Engineering, Operations, Marketing Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)