EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
This individual will define and articulate new feature requirements that help define the best positioning and competitive advantage for the Flipster Digital Magazine Platform (also includes all present/future versions of newsstand, reading viewers and native apps). As part of the Product Management team, you bridge technical and business worlds as you design and influence products and features with creative and prolific engineers and interact with teams such as Sales, Marketing and Customer Satisfaction to: a.) formulate priorities and provide business direction for internal teams and b.) Provide input to help formulate the market positioning and message for the product. You have a bias for action, provide appropriate and informed guidance and business direction, and can break down complex problems into actionable steps that drive product development
• Work closely with the Director of Product Management, product manager, and key business and technology stakeholders to translate business priorities into scoped project proposals.
• Responsible for launching new features, from high level concept design to operational delivery.
• Ensure successful delivery of features to live site that delivers functionality meeting customer needs.
• Collaboration with UI designers, developers, and testers to identify feature details and create user stories for implementation.
• Manage and communicate trade-offs between cost/schedule versus business benefit.
• Work with Customer satisfaction to make sure their needs are met in the design process, training and rollout.
• Own user stories/requirements definition
• Own the product backlog, timelines, and acceptance criteria
• Prioritize and define technical stories
• Provide subject matter expertise and stay current with voice of the market, industry, competition and customer
• Communicate product and feature status to Product Manager / business owner, and escalate issues that need business decisions or direction
• Manage communications and relationships with diverse stakeholders, ranging from Product Managers, • Project Managers, developers, designers, QA engineers, architects, requirements analysts, and customer satisfaction staff
• Take a leadership role throughout the product development life cycle to drive excellence in the overall technical execution of the product.
• Present in-progress and recently completed product enhancements to diverse audiences at internal stakeholder meetings.
• Lead or support various product management analysis projects (e.g., usage analysis, user research, competitive analysis).
• Assist product manager in the formulation and writing of idea documents and business cases for new Flipster features and enhancements.
• Influence EBSCO’s broader mobile platform strategy.
• Work with business partners to strengthen ties and benefits for both organizations and help develop requirements
• Manage service issues and product ideas
• This role may be asked to fill the role of product owner or product manager in the Scaled Agile Framework for the enterprise (SAFe) framework for the Books and Flipster Agile Release Train for 12 to 24 months
30 Day Objectives
Work closely with the Director of Product Management, product manager, and key business and technology stakeholders to translate business priorities into scoped project proposals.
Collaboration with Sales, product manager, technology team on defining the product backlog, timelines, and acceptance criteria
Collaboration with UI designers, developers, and testers to identify feature details and create user stories for implementation. Include feedback from SI’s and product ideas
90 Day Objectives
Provide subject matter expertise and stay current with voice of the market, industry, competition and customer via collaboration on initiatives and creation of user stories
Communicate product and feature status to Product Manager / business owner, and escalate issues that need business decisions or direction
Work with Customer satisfaction to make sure their needs are met in the design process, training and rollout.
Lead or support various product management analysis projects (e.g., usage analysis, user research, competitive analysis).
180 Day Objectives
Influence EBSCO’s broader mobile platform strategy by noting best practices and communicating to broader teams on industry standards.
Identify potential business partners to work with and strengthen ties and benefits for both organizations and help develop requirements
Present in-progress and recently completed product enhancements to diverse audiences at internal stakeholder meetings.
• Analytical skills: Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
• Requirements Analysis: Gathers, organizes and evaluates any information or data needed as input from stakeholders and development team to determine requirements and specifications.
• Technical prowess: Able to quickly get to know our products to a sufficient level and drive updates as needed with Technology teams. Adopts or works with necessary tools for operations.
• Attention to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
• Flexibility/Adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
• Communication and Presentation: Able to effectively communicate and present technical concepts to technical and non-technical professionals.
• 5+ years of Product Management experience
• 5+ years defining and document product requirements
• 2+ years experience working within Scrum or other Agile development environments.
• 2+ years Product management experience in the library industry with web based services and mobile app development
• Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science or Masters in Library and Information Science or 6 years directly relevant experience
• Demonstrated experience working directly with technology teams in a product owner role
• Demonstrated success in a matrixed, fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated excellence at prioritizing projects
• Demonstrated experience designing, developing, and/or evaluating mobile centric software highly desired.
• Demonstrated experience with website analytics or business intelligence software.
• Detail-oriented, analytical thinker that can apply structure to complex problems.
• Able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize workload effectively, and thrive in a dynamic and complex environment.
• Goal oriented and focused on achieving results by taking on the spot decisions and take the needed tradeoffs.
• Detail-oriented, yet able to look at a wide array of choices & identify what truly matters, problem solving skills is a must.
• Effective written and oral communication with multiple levels of business and technical leadership.
• Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical and leadership skills are essential.
Preferred digital magazine experience
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Information Technology, IT Manager, Product Manager, Computer Science, Technology, Marketing, Operations Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)