The Patient Marketing Lead reports to the Head of Patient Marketing in U.S. Patient Engagement & Experience. This individual will be responsible for patient marketing for several rare disease categories as part of Shire’s broad rare disease portfolio, which includes ten therapeutic areas – Hereditary Angioedema (HAE), Hunter’s Syndrome, Gaucher’s Disease, Short Bowel Syndrome, Hypoparathyroidism, Alpha-1 Deficiency, Primary Immune Deficiency, Hemophilia, von Willebrand Disease, and Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. In total, there are over 20 products across ten therapeutic areas, accounting for approximately $6 billion in annual sales.
This position is a member of the Patient Marketing team that works closely with the franchise Marketing Teams, Medical, Regulatory, Legal, Commercial Operations, Compliance and Corporate Communications.
In partnership with the franchise teams, US Patient Marketing is responsible for developing strategies and executing in three primary areas:
• Patient Services Marketing – This includes fully developing and supporting processes, educational materials, and digital assets for patient on-boarding, financial and reimbursement support (hub services, co-pay assistance, quick start) sample programs and patient welcome kits. The team helps develop and monitor KPIs to drive efficiency and ensure operational excellence. The team develops and maintains digital assets including Patient Services websites, patient portals and patient apps. Finally, the team is responsible for management oversight and appropriate deployment of third party nursing and outsourced healthcare education nurses.
• Patient Engagement Marketing – The team will work with the Patient Engagement teams and the centralized Healthcare Education team to develop materials and programs customized by diseases state and audience. There will be a particular focus on education that can be delivered by nurses and bilingual healthcare educators. This includes patient programs and live events such as patient educational dinner programs, commercial support for patient walks and fundraising events, commercial support for scholarship programs, and support for patient conferences.
• Patient Experience Marketing – The Patient Marketing team will develop and maintain Shire Patient Services branding to ensure patients have a consistent Shire experience and view Shire as the global leader in rare diseases. The team will partner closely with the US Patient Advocacy team as appropriate to drive Shire’s rare disease leadership. Additionally, the Patient Marketing team will partner with the franchises to develop innovative solutions for improving the patient experience, including adherence programs, adherence apps, and enhancements to the patient portal.
- BS/BA required. MBA preferred.
- Candidate should have 5 or more years of experience in Patient / Consumer Marketing, with 2-3 years of Patient Service experience in phama / biotech rare disease.
- Must have experience working with Pharma/biotech promotional materials and agencies.
- U.S. and/or Global brand launch and commercialization experience in the Rare Disease space preferred.
- Proven track record of project management and tactical execution.
20-30% travel as required. Role will sometimes call for early or late meetings and/or attendance to patient meetings on nights and weekends.
Strategic Leadership & Innovation (15%)
Works with marketing leads across the rare disease portfolio to develop strategies for patient services, engagement and experience. Provides input into brand specific strategic plans.
Program Execution (40%)
Works with team to develop and execute key patient programs. Leads the development and implementation of access services, marketing strategies, programs, tactics, and messaging. Tracks / monitors KPIs and key analytics, offering feedback to service users and internal stakeholders. Managers tactical programs and commercial tools through the regulatory, medical, legal approval process
Responsible for tactical project management and key understanding of data and metrics. Manages the external spend budget for specific programs and ensures appropriate resource optimization, including optimal use of external agencies.
Collaboration & Communication (30%)
Works directly with other members of the Patient Services team on key programs and initiatives. Collaborates with marketing leads and franchise sales leads. Identifies and leverages synergies across therapeutic areas. Works closely with agencies, digital vendors and hub service vendors.
Living our leadership behaviors is a basic expectation for all Shire employees. Shire expects all employees to embody the following Leadership Behaviors:
- Be Positive
- Be Accountable
- Be Results Oriented
- Be An Excellent Manager of Self and Others
Additionally, the Patient Marketing Lead must also possess the following skills and attributes:
- Patient-centric, compassionate and service oriented mindset
- Results oriented, attention to detail, accurate, prompt and able to meet deadlines
- Strong business acumen and budgeting skills
- Strong presentation skills and ability to partner with cross-functional teams
- Develops bold plans and crafts pragmatic solutions to implement them
- Considers marketplace and economic forces and trends in making sound business decisions
- Generates breakthrough solutions, and enables others to do the same
- Experience dealing with various interdependent Patient Services platforms and approaches.
- Experience in developing compliant marketing approaches/platforms/business processes for biotech / rare disease Marketing
- Builds and models a collaborative culture of questioning and constructive challenge to foster openness and candid dialogue
Location/Region: Lexington, MA