• The Global Medical Communication expert in Neurosciences will contribute to building a best-in-class medical communication organization within Global Medical Affairs at Shire. S/he will ensure that medical and scientific results from Shire studies are communicated in an accurate, timely, compliant and compelling manner.
• The expert will develop and implement a scientific communication platform and medical communication plan for assigned brands in Neurosciences, in collaboration with the medical affairs team, the publication leader and other relevant stakeholders.
• As medical representative in the CMLR (Commercial-Medical-Legal-Regulatory) review process, ensure appropriate medical review and approval of promotional and non-promotional materials generated by Shire. S/he will also serve as the medical reviewer for the medical material review process.
• Future activities may include leading the development of scientific symposia, medical affairs advisory boards, scientific exchange meetings and master classes.
• The expert will also be asked to generate scientific content for many medical communications-related activities such as clinical slide decks, and digital assets.
• S/he will be responsible for congress planning and collection and generation of scientific insights, content for the medical affairs booth will also be a key responsibility.
• The expert will stay up-to-date on the latest science and data in the field, interface and engage with key thought leaders in the medical community, and contribute significantly to the creation, collection, and dissemination of business-relevant, actionable scientific insights to key stakeholders across the organization and key customer segments, especially in support of critical product launches.
1. Develop and support the medical communication plan for Neuroscience product(s).
- Lead develop a Medical Communication plan and a Scientific Communication platform, in collaboration with the medical affairs team, and other strategic partners
- Ensure the implementation of the medical communications plan, lead/supervise activities such as: generation of core medical communication documents, support the development of medical booths and other congress activities, satellite symposia, educational activities and scientific meetings with experts.
- Develop and execute a congress and advisory board plan in alignment with medical objectives.
- Utilize various platforms, digital and otherwise, to disseminate medical data.
- Post-congress support including liaising with competitive intelligence, post congress integration of learnings into the communication plans.
- Development of materials for use by the field medical team
- Evaluate and recommend speakers for medical communication events
- Develop and lead internal training, including for publications of critical importance to the company, congress preparedness, and scientific communication platform
- Ensure that all medical education initiatives remain on strategy, within budget and are executed in a timely manner
- Drive and implement best practices in Medical Communications activities/initiatives. Ensure that activities are carried out in compliance with regulations, international standards and company policies
All activities are conducted in close collaboration with key, cross-functional partners.
2. Participate in the CMLR review process and ensure medical accuracy and scientific correctness of promotional and non-promotional materials:
- Participate in pre-CMLR meetings
- Ensure review and approval of promotional and non-promotional materials, according to CMLR standards, so that medical data is communicated in an ethical, compliant and accurate manner.
Liaise with the GMA team for scientific discussion on specific materials, as needed
Education and Experience Requirements
- A relevant scientific or healthcare degree is required (eg, PhD or PharmD)
- > 8 years in the biopharmaceutical industry, preferably within a matrix structure
- > 5 years of experience within Medical Affairs roles (Medical Science Liaison, Medical Information, Medical Communications, Medical Education, Publications)
- Experience managing vendors and projects is preferred
- Good knowledge of medical communications approaches and best practices is required
- Familiarity with regulatory and legal guidelines regarding medical communications strategy and execution
Location/Region: Lexington, MA