EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
The mission of the Content Software Engineer for EBSCO’s Discovery & Research Search Engine components is to develop and deliver content in the form of databases to improve customer Search experience. The software engineer will collaborate with team members, Product Owner, and Product Manager to build content and while assuring quality.
- Focuses on quality throughout the development process.
- Applies knowledge of software design patterns, algorithms, data structures and modern programming techniques such as TDD and ATDD to daily work where applicable
- Outstanding logical/structured analytical ability to effectively understand and decompose product requirements into detailed user-stories/specifications
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, detail oriented, responsible, and strong collaboration skills
- Be a quick and flexible learner
- Highly effective at working with colleagues with varied cultural backgrounds
- Applies critical thinking and structured problem solving to address root causes.
- Focuses on continuous improvement and shows willingness to follow and learn new processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Works effectively with team members and other teams to accomplish individual, team and organization goals, in an agile environment using agile methodology. Need to have an agile mindset. Be ready to help build and shape the team by raising observations and ideas respectfully.
- Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Effectively communicates and presents technical concepts to both technical and non-technical professionals.
- Shares domain knowledge and special skills with other team members.
- Eager to learn
- Team player
- Positive attitude
- Good judgement
- Open communication
- Desire to make an impact
30 Day Objectives:
- Set up fully operational development environment, including all required tools
- Full familiarity with developing and testing at least one of the team’s software components
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and extend unit tests for at least one software component, adhering to the team’s tooling and processes
- Familiarity with development related processes
- Fully integrated “agile team player”
60 Day Objectives:
- Measurable contribution to feature development for at least one of the team’s software components
- Proficiency with the team’s and the organization’s key processes
- Demonstrated contributions to coaching and education of peers, as applicable
90 Day Objectives:
- Full familiarity with the team’s software components
- Full familiarity with team’s and organization’s key processes
- Significant contributions to feature developments, including automated testing, for at least one of the team’s software components
- Map and transform data using XSLT according to design specifications
- Develop testing strategies and test case scenarios
- Work with orchestration tools to setup/modify data flows
- Test the correctness of the database loaders used in transformations
- Test the defined search tags to ensure getting precise search results
- Assess the correctness of data fields when displayed in Ehost search portal.
- Automate integration tests to increase automated test coverage and minimize manual time spent on testing-
- Assist in diagnosing root causes of undesirable data behaviors.
- Participate in iteration planning, management, coordination.
- Learn and assess new tools to aid in testing process
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience with Linux/Windows
- 2+ year of experience with web technologies and HTML
- 0-1 year of experience with XML, XML Schema, XSLT, and regular expressions.
- 3+ years working with computer applications such as databases, spreadsheets, reporting tools, query applications.
- 1+ year of experience working with release management tools such as SVN/Git, Jenkins, Artifactory
- Knowledge or working experience with Appworx or orchestration programs a plus
- Experience working in a SAFe/agile team
- Familiar with content ingestion, replication and techniques used to extract and transform content from one schema into another
- Knowledge of MARC XML and bibliography data science
- Experience working with AWS, Docker, J2EE, MongoDB, RDBMS, building microservices
- Experience with Perl, Linux shell script experience
- Experience with Node.js
- 2+ years experience working with OOP languages, C# and/or Java
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Developer, Engineer, Computer Science, Software Engineer, Test Engineer, Technology, Engineering Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)