EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
As a Product Owner, you will build search and indexing features for existing EBSCO web based products and services while helping to develop and drive new ideas. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy and the drive to make the company vision a reality.
You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will work with Product Manager counterparts to define product release requirements. You will work with technology teams as a representative of the customer to help create and refine requirements and backlogs while forming mutual understanding across the development team and stakeholders. You will work with marketing communications helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customer.
You will lead the implementation of feature enhancements and new product offerings in a highly collaborative environment. You will implement product vision & product development with a clear focus on customer and end-user needs. This role will fulfill the development team’s need for product direction, understanding the detail of personas and their problems.
- Preparation and participation in release planning
- Own the team backlog
- Contribute to program vision and roadmap
- Key stakeholder in story definition assisting the team with clarification, estimates, story sequencing and team objectives for program increments
- Sprint execution
- Backlog refinement – Build, Prune, and maintain the team backlog with input from the key stakeholders
- Iteration Planning – Review and prioritize the backlog for iteration planning including coordination of dependencies with other related product owners
- Be the prime source for user story detail and priorities
- Responsibility for the final iteration plan
- Just in time story elaboration – Keep the process flowing
- Supporting ATDD
- Participate in development of story acceptance criteria
- Drafts stories when feasible
- Provide examples
- Accepting stories into baseline
- Validate that stories meet acceptance criteria and completeness
- Validates fitness for use
- Be the only person that accepts stories into the baseline
- Participation in team demo and retrospective
- As a key member of the team and the key person responsible for requirements be the key member in driving and developing the team demo
- Be a key member in the team retrospective helping drive improvements across the team
- Inspect and adapt – address the team impediments in the inspect and adapt workshop by working across teams to define and implement improvement stories that will increase the quality and velocity of the team
- Manage communications and relationships with diverse stakeholders, ranging from Product Managers, Project Managers, developers, designers, QA engineers, architects, requirements analysts, customer satisfaction staff
- Work with Customer satisfaction to make sure their needs are met in the design process, training and rollout
Objectives to accomplish within 30 days:
- Meet and begin establishing effective working relationships with team members, RTE, other PO’s, PM and technology Stakeholders.
- Work with ART Product Management and key stakeholders to become local content authority and able to contribute to the product vision and define acceptance criteria to meet that vision.
- Become intimately familiar with current Team Backlog, Program Backlog, blockers, dependencies, etc.
- Participate in team ceremonies and weekly PO sync meetings
- Attend PO training
- Begin engagement of iteration execution based on timing of hire.
Objectives to accomplish within 90 days:
- Basic understanding of search and indexing technologies
- Take lead in preparing for the next Program Increment Planning (PIP) session.
- Update the team backlog
- Review and contribute to the vision Roadmap, content presentations and the team’s specific objectives
- At the PIP, participate in story definition, estimates and sequencing
- Take the lead Iteration Execution after the PIP
- Refine and maintain the team backlog from the PIP with input from System Architect/Engineering
- Review and reprioritize the backlog
- Ensure the amount of just-in-time story elaboration backlog is optimal to keep the process flowing
- Draft story acceptance criteria in support of Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD) as necessary
- Accept Stories as done that meet the acceptance criteria and the definition of done.
- Attend Team Demo and Retrospective
- Attend Inspect and Adapt workshops
- Work across teams to define and implement improvement stories to increase velocity and quality of program
- Proven experience working directly with technology teams as the product owner
- Knowledge of lean development approaches (e.g. Aglie Scrum) is preferred
- Knowledge of API usage, general Internet, database, and user interface design
- Experience developing new software and services, as well as enhancements to existing, legacy systems
- Familiarity with web-based product development, workflow modeling and understanding of typical technology architecture or high-volume web sites
- Scope new requirements and oversee implementation of new features into the product
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to work with cross-functional teams to drive the implementation of new features as well as resolve operational issues
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize workload effectively, and thrive in a dynamic and complex environment. Must be highly organized
- Must be goal oriented and focused on achieving results by taking on the spot decisions and accepting the needed tradeoffs
- Detail-oriented, yet able to look at a wide array of choices & identify what truly matters, problem solving skills is a must
- Effective written and oral communication with technical leadership
- Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical and leadership skills are essential
- 5+ years of Product Owner experience
- 5+ years software development experience
- Ability to define and document product requirements
- Demonstrated success in a matrixed, fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated excellence at prioritizing projects
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing, and/or evaluating enterprise search software
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Engineer, Communications, Marketing Communications, Product Manager, Database, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Technology Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)