EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
EBSCO organization maintains and enhances a suite of diverse systems involved in every stage of digital book publishing from production to content delivery. Technologies include Java, Node.js, as well as relational and NoSQL databases, and many mobile apps on both iOS and Android. The organization is geographically dispersed, with groups of teams in multiple locations around the US. Travel for team meetings may be required up to 4-6 times a year. The Data Scientist (DS) is a Lean-Agile leader who has the technical responsibility for discovery, assessment of data insight from a corpus of publications, and run-time behavioral data generated by our platform. The Data Scientist is a hands-on Architect level role that interfaces with business stakeholders, cross functional teams, customers and suppliers participating in the definition of the higher-level functional and nonfunctional requirements supported by insights derived from in-depth data analysis. The Data Scientist understands the complexities of large-scale data driven solution development and applies Lean and Agile practices helping development teams to achieve greater development velocity.
- Drive data discovery and analysis on large/high volume data sources in structured and semi-structured formats
- Collaborate with the development and the architecture teams on extensions of standards based canonical data model representing publication metadata
- Conduct data analysis on data sources, inference, patterns identification, similarities, and quality measures
- Drive data centric best practices seeking improvements in quality of data sources by recommending and applying data management best practices
- Collaborate with business and technology stakeholders helping solve data/metrics driven problems
- Participate in planning, definition and high-level design of the solution
- Work directly with agile teams to implement solutions
- Participate in quarterly high-intensity company-wide planning exercises
- Interact regularly with business stakeholders about features under development
- Develop architecture, code prototypes, model, and deliver data centric analysis/reports
- Passion for Lean: Appreciates the depths of Lean practices and principles and role models Lean and Agile behaviors.
- Strategic Thinking/Visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Collaboration: Strong team player who breaks down silos and works effectively with teams and stakeholders to establish and accomplish business objectives.
- Negotiating and Consensus Building: Manages, negotiates and coordinates with technology, business stakeholders, subject matter experts, development teams, and enterprise architects to build strategy and processes that support the achievement of business objectives.
- Requirements Analysis: Gathers, organizes and evaluates any information or data needed as input from stakeholders and development team to determine requirements and specifications.
- Business Analysis: Evaluates many competing factors to form correct judgments and recommendations that balance current and anticipated business and technology needs.
- Communication: Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with ability to articulate both technical and business ideas clearly and simply from team level to board level to large external audience.
- Technical Acumen: Exhibits keen interest in technology innovation. Experienced practitioner with background working on large scale, complex, transformational solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or related field of study. Master’s Degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in data analysis or software development
- 8+ years of experience working with relational and NoSQL databases
- 5+ years of experience with data science and data modeling
- 2+ years working with Big Data solutions/services in AWS
- Demonstrate strong knowledge and experience applying enterprise patterns to solving business problems
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical professionals
- Familiarity with domain driven design
- Hands-on experience with ETL/ELT and data wrangling technologies
- Understanding of Linked Data
- Experience with applying NLP and ML techniques on large data sets of unstructured data
- Familiarity with search technologies and techniques for improving relevancy ranking
- Experience in publishing industry
- Experience in identifying and applying matching algorithms on a large corpus of documents (publications)
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Database, Scientific, Information Systems, Computer Science, Developer, Engineering, Technology Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)