EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
Agile Development Manager
This manager is a leader who guides, coaches, and mentors teams in the design, development, delivery, and maintenance of premium academic book products & services.
This person will lead teams who create information products and services that inform the world, advancing research in traditional and emerging fields and transforming learning and education.
This role is primarily focused on the leadership and development of people and practices and enables self-directed teams to successfully execute against their goals within an Agile organization in support of corporate vision and strategy.
- Manage 1-2 teams of ~7-9 engineers each, with focus on team development and growth
- Work directly with product owners and business representatives to provide business solutions from inception to operation.
- Ensure that the whole teams owns the quality of the products we produce and maintain a balanced mindset across the engineering disciplines involved in delivering those products according to the ‘definition of done’.
- Be a guardian of world-class customer experience.
- Stay abreast of industry/technology trends relevant to the Software Engineering discipline
- Regularly review team performance, collaborate with them on improvement initiatives/experiments (PDSA Cycle), and understand the data, team and workflow.
- Attract, recruit, retain, and develop top engineering talent.
- Review the performance of individual team members and provide effective coaching for improvement.
- Cultivate and groom leaders.
- Act as a servant leader to a team or a team of teams so that they are enabled to maximize the value they can deliver to the business.
- Foster a growth mind-set in all employees.
- Foster and enable software craftsmanship and innovation.
- Advocate for the team and promote their successes, celebrate their failures, and share key learnings throughout the organization.
- Lead accountability, autonomy, and empowerment within your teams and manage the appropriate boundaries to achieve the result of having self-directed work teams.
- Live the principles behind the Agile Manifesto and SAFe framework in all interactions and equip the team to do the same.
- Leadership: Creates the vision, sets the direction and objectives, then motivates and guides others to take actions that support the vision (continually ensuring the focus remains on the customer and business objectives).
- Collaboration: Works effectively with team members and cross functional teams to accomplish individual, team and organization goals.
- Accountability and Persistence: Holds self and other accountable for measurable high-quality, timely and cost effective results. Expects personal and team performance to be the best. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Communication: Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences. Ability to lead a team by exhibiting strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related technical field
- 10+ years’ experience in software development
- 3+ years’ experience as a senior team lead or manager in an agile SW development environment
- 3+ years’ experience in agile/Scrum/Kanban/SAFe
- 2 years’ experience with Java development
- Proven track record in fostering, grooming, and growing self-governed teams
- Proven track record in attracting new talent and retaining key talent
- Conflict resolution and coaching
- Change management and coaching
- Ability to quickly understand and assess technical aspects of our products and components
- Ability to advise on best practices (architecture, implementation, team dynamics, etc.)
- Deep technical knowledge of a complex domain (e.g. search, analytics, machine learning, expert systems, AI, etc.)
- Superb communication and presentation skills
- Capable of contributing technically when necessary
- Deep knowledge of software design patterns, algorithms, data structures and modern programming techniques
- Database design and data architecture skills
- Relevant experience
- Building high volume search applications
- Familiarity with search in general, ElasticSearch in particular
- Predictive analytics and machine learning techniques
- Semantic search, ontologies
- Leveraging public cloud infrastructure (specifically AWS/EC2)
- Scaled Agile Framework for Enterprises (SAFe)
- Microservice architecture
- Experience delivering reliable DevOps solutions, continuous integration and continuous delivery
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Developer, Engineer, Manager, Computer Science, Java, Technology, Engineering, Management Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)