EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
Agile Product Owner
The mission of the Agile Product Owner is to drive high-quality enhancements and address live defects for EBSCO products and services. As a Product Owner this position takes a leadership role to ensure that EBSCO’s investments in product development are well-executed and meet (or exceed) business requirements. This position works collaboratively with technical teams and stakeholders to deliver quality EBSCO products and services to our customers and end-users.
Drive the delivery of business features and technical enablers Requirements analysis: Work with Product Managers and System Architects to define and refine the acceptance criteria for business and technical features. Lead a small team of developers to deliver on committed features and release value to market. Continuously refine team backlog, drive iteration goals via prioritized stories. Break down user stories to their minimal business increment. Establish user story acceptance criteria and accept only the work which meets those criteria. Apply a systems view to assist with building out EBSCO’s discovery platform (focus on Search) and contribute to improving the search user experience in EBSCO’s academic, K-12, public library, medical and corporate markets. Contributes to the vision and Program Backlog of an Agile Release Train (ART).
Able to access existing Service Issue data sources relevant to search systems and capture aggregate statistics about search related Service Issues. Get on-boarded with current search stack and related analytics tools.
- Meet and begin establishing effective working relationships with team members, Release Train Engineer (RTE), other Product Owners, Program Management team and technology stakeholders.
- Ability to create user stories with or without guidance from the team. Define acceptance criteria for user stories. Assist the team with clarification and estimates.
Be the prime source for user story detail and priorities. Validate that stories meet acceptance criteria and completeness. Validates fitness for use.
- Backlog refinement: Build, prune, and maintain the team backlog with input from key stakeholders
- Iteration planning: Review and prioritize the backlog for iteration planning including coordination of dependencies with other related Product Owners.
- Responsibility for the final iteration plan. Write iteration goals and publish on team’s Confluence page.
- Participate in team and ART ceremonies. Lead iterative team and system demonstrations.
- Begin engagement of iteration execution based on timing of hire.
- Able to access all existing Business Intelligence data sources relevant to search transactions and produce some basic dashboards that capture:
- Top N search terms by market, interface, database
- Aggregate transaction rates by market, interface, database
- Take lead in preparing for the next Program Increment Planning (PIP) session. At the PIP, lead the process of story definition, estimates and sequencing.
- Lead iteration execution after the PIP.
- Refine and maintain the team backlog from the PIP with input from System Architect/Engineering. Become intimately familiar with current team backlog, program backlog, blockers, dependencies, etc.
- Work with ART Program Management and key stakeholders to communicate ‘the customer’s voice’ to teams and contribute to the product’s vision.
- Ensure the amount of just-in-time story elaboration backlog is optimal to keep the process flowing.
- Work across teams to define and implement improvement stories to increase velocity and quality of program.
- Act as a key member in the team retrospective helping drive improvements across the team.
- Actively participate in Release Management sessions and be able to speak to the features’ status.
- Work with Customer Satisfaction to make sure their needs are met in the design process, training and rollout.
- Assist Subject Matter Expert on search investigations.
- Assisting with Use Case development in support of search platform epic and model.
- Inspect and adapt: Address the team impediments in the inspect and adapt workshop by working across teams to define and implement improvement stories that will increase the quality and velocity of the team.
- Manage communications and relationships with diverse stakeholders, ranging from Product Managers, Project Managers, developers, designers, QA engineers, architects, requirements analysts, customer satisfaction staff.
- Review and contribute to the vision Roadmap.
- Lead iterative team and system demonstrations and speak competently about the completed work. Be able to address stakeholder questions.
- Support search enhancement prioritization by delivering insights on opportunities to improve search results.
- Maintain models and related artifacts of search contexts, behaviors, system components.
- Work on search investigations with assistance from Subject Matter Expert.
- Provide KPI tracking progress/impact of search platform features as they are delivered to customers.
- Provide ad-hoc reporting.
- Perform A/B analysis with assistance from Subject Matter Expert. Start to build out automated tools so that analysis can be turned around quickly.
- Manage communications and relationships with diverse stakeholders, ranging from Product Managers, RTEs, developers, designers, QA engineers, architects, requirements analysts, customer satisfaction staff.
Communication: Speaks / writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communications, including email. Able to translate business objectives/requirements into the right level of detail appropriate for implementation.
Technically Savvy: Scopes work through assessment of the tradeoffs between technical, functional, user-value and performance dynamics. Prioritizes the value of refactoring alongside new value stories which is critical to building a sustainable environment over the long term.
Trust: Builds strong relationships based on mutual professional respect. Has integrity in doing what they say they will do while representing the best interests of their team to stakeholders and to Product Management.
Business Sense: Has a working knowledge of the business domain to define user stories to deliver real value to end users, while informing decisions that must be made on tradeoffs between system functionality and performance.
Being successful in this role will require fitting into a work environment that is fast paced, creative, diverse and demanding. The teams are talented and the bar is high for all who work with us. We want collaborative, non-territorial people who are comfortable challenging the status quo. We want people who are respectful of their co-workers and people that enjoy what they do. We want people who like to get things done, efficiently, and demand that of those around them. Thinking outside the box is encouraged. We like to solve hard problems and push ourselves to high standards
- 2+ years of experience in agile environment
- 3+ years software development experience
- Computer Science Degree
- Experience in systems/business analysis, software engineering or related field
- Search domain experience
- ElasticSearch relevance ranking diagnosis experience
- Tableau experience
- Kibana/Grafana experience
- Experience with query languages (Hive, Pig)
- Experience with large scale EMR
- Statistics background
- Experience and/or education in the library field
- Familiarity with APIs, specifically EBSCO’s EDS API
- Working with SAFe
- Demonstrated success in a matrixed, fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated excellence at prioritizing projects
- Ability to delve into and document highly technical discussions around technology, dataflow and workflow situations
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Engineer, Program Manager, Computer Science, Software Engineer, Database, Engineering, Management, Technology Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)