EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
EBSCO Information Services is looking to recruit a highly-experienced Director of User Experience Research to join our User Experience Research team in Ipswich. You will be a seasoned research leader with a passion for creative and dynamic insights that help teams build better products that lead the market. You will have a proven track record of designing and delivering a wide range of research projects and programs, and be comfortable with traditional and new approaches in recruitment, methodology and reporting. Delivering powerful and impactful research that drives business outcomes will be all in a day’s work.
User Research/Primary Research:
Conduct periodic user testing on competitor sites. Write/contribute articles to industry journals on topics related to user research, approaches and methodologies Present findings to customers in partnership with Sales or at industry conferences
- Conduct user research on items in product pipeline and on release schedule, including:
- Determine appropriate user research method for topic
- Independently write research proposals, test plans and scripts
- Act as lead facilitator during research sessions
- Write final report with actionable recommendations
- Present final report to project teams
- Create and maintain searchable research repository of information on users, behaviors, and research conclusions.
Secondary Research & Analysis:
- Perform in-depth secondary research and literature reviews to support initiatives.
- Write findings and present to project teams about target audience characteristics and behaviors.
- Evolve the core set of EBSCO user personas based on new findings about user segment behaviors.
- Introduce new tools and methodology for research methods and user experience documentation to the department/company.
- Stay current with industry and competitive trends, sharing your knowledge with the team/department.
- Support Sales by participating in customer visits, presenting to customers on findings and methodologies and introducing new ways to meet customer research needs.
- Accountability and Persistence: Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely and cost effective results.
- Analytical skills: Able to draw insightful conclusions from complex data. Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Business Analysis: evaluates many competing factors to form sound judgments and recommendations that balance current and anticipated business and technology needs.
- Communication & Presentation: Able to effectively communicate and present technical concepts to technical and non-technical professionals.
- Continuous Improvement: Continually focused on improving the responsiveness and quality of the solutions delivered
- Honesty/Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Always behaves in a manner of the highest ethical standards.
- Project Leadership: Able to own and manage the design, build, selection, implementation and release of tools and services for production systems.
- Results Driven: Focuses on desired results. Sets and achieves challenging goals.
- 3-5 years of experience with user experience research methods such as live and remote usability testing, surveys, interviews, contextual inquiry, and other research methods.
- Strong writing, presentation, and teaching skills.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in User Experience, Information Architecture, Requirements Analysis, or Product Management on complex web-based software for search or similarly complex function.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MLIS preferred.
- Strong analytical skills, to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts and distill high-level information into details and recommendations.
- Solid interviewing skills, to speak with individuals and groups of representative users about their needs and ask the right questions in order to surface essential requirements information.
- Critical listening skills, to understand what people say, probe when appropriate and help them to articulate their true needs.
- Facilitation skills, to lead user research sessions.
- Strong writing, presentation, and teaching skills
- Organizational skills, to work with the vast array of information gathered during elicitation and analysis and to cope with rapidly changing information.
- Interpersonal and communication skills, to help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among project stakeholders.
- Graphics & modeling experience a plus, to represent concepts in graphical form – wireframes, mocks, prototypes.
- The ideal candidate is familiar with library systems and the library technology industry. Knowledge of online database research products, institutional repositories.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Manager, User Experience, Database, Testing, Product Manager, Management, Technology, Operations Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)