The Groundskeeper is primarily responsible for maintaining the campus landscaping, carrying out move requests and outdoor events set ups. This position is full-time, exempt and eligible for all benefits including tuition remission.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday : 7:00am – 3:30pm
Employees in this position are considered "essential personnel", which requires them to report for duty during weather/other emergencies that may result in College closings or delays. Regular work assignments change to performing snow removal duties such as shoveling, snowplowing, ice melting, salting and sanding etc.
- Maintains grass, shrubbery, flower beds, seasonal plantings and trees through cutting, pruning, planting.
- Mows, waters lawns, shrubs and trees as required.
- Weeds, prunes, trim and generally maintain the gardens, shrubs and trees.
- Clears sidewalks, entrances, courtyard, parking lots and driveways of debris using brooms and power sweepers, blowers and other related equipment.
- Maintain/install irrigation systems and related replacement parts.
- Chemically clean and/or power wash sidewalks or building surfaces to remove stains or graffiti.
- Installs and repairs signs and banners
- Police assigned work zones for a variety of trash and litter and dispose appropriately.
- Operate commercial lawn mowers, tractors, front-end loaders, and trucks as necessary to the performance of the assigned task.
- Performs minor repairs to pavement, fences, walls, and other exterior areas.
- Moves furniture and related items associated with interdepartmental moves requests. Utilizes equipment and chemicals in a sensible manner.
- Performs set up of outdoor/off campus events to include tent set up, waste receptacles, and barricades in coordination with the Events Department.
- Removes snow from sidewalks, entrances, courtyards, parking lots, etc. using shovels, snow blowers, snow plows and other related snow removal equipment, as directed by Management.
- Initiates request to purchase supplies related to work assignments according to established procedures.
- Attends safety, equipment and material training as scheduled by Management.
- Performs additional Facilities duties as assigned. Help other facilities departments when requested by Management.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a landscaping, nursery and/or grounds maintenance position.
- Previous employment experience using commercial equipment such as lawn mowers, tractors, front-end loaders, and snow plows.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry objects up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Must be able to read instructions and safety rules, write sentences, communicate verbally, and follow instructions.
- Must be able to climb stairs, ladders, lifts, etc. as well as stand, reach, stoop, crouch, sit, kneel, climb, crawl and walk extensively across multiple areas of campus.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- A valid NH driver’s license required
E-mail your cover letter and résumé to
If you prefer to fill out an application please send us an email request or stop by the Human Resources office in Colgate Hall room 230. Candidates who can actively contribute to racial, ethnic, or cultural diversity on campus are encourage to include this information in the cover letter.
About this company
Colby-Sawyer is a dynamic and innovative liberal arts and sciences college located in the scenic Lake Sunapee Region of central New Hampshire. CSC blends the elements of a student's college life--academic, co-curricular, social and athletic--into a cohesive educational experience.
Location/Region: New London, NH